Postdoctoral Position, Meiotic Recombination in Plant Resistance

John M. McDowell johnmcd at vt.edu
Sun Dec 8 15:10:55 EST 2002

Postdoctoral Position: Meiotic Recombination in Plant Resistance Gene Clusters
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA

A NIH-funded postdoctoral position is available to study the impact of
meiotic recombination on the structure and function of pathogen resistance
gene clusters in plants.  This is a collaborative project between Dr. John
McDowell and Dr. John Jelesko (Jelesko et al., PNAS 96 10302-7, McDowell et
al., The Plant Cell 10, 1861-1874).  The project is based on a high
throughput genetic screen, to identify rare recombination events within
gene clusters that provide resistance to the downy mildew pathogen
Peronospora parasitica.  We will address a wide variety of outstanding
questions regarding the frequency and character of meiotic recombination
within R gene clusters, as well as the functional capabilities of the
resulting chimeric R genes.  This project is suitable for those with
interests in plant molecular biology, meiotic recombination, molecular
plant pathology, and/or molecular evolution.  We are looking for a highly
motivated individual with a Ph.D. in molecular biology, genetics, or a
related field.  Interested individuals should contact either John McDowell
(johnmcd at vt.edu) or John Jelesko (jelesko at vt.edu).

Virginia Tech has an active plant biotechnology community and is expanding
in the areas of molecular plant pathology and bioinformatics.  Our labs are
housed in the recently constructed Fralin Biotechnology Center
(www.biotech.vt.edu).  Virginia Tech is located in a relaxed, attractive
mountain community, which contains all of the standard college town
amenities as well as easy access to exceptional outdoor recreation
opportunities (www.bev.net).  Virginia Tech is committed to equal
opportunity employment, and we particularly encourage applications from
underrepresented groups.

John M. McDowell
Assistant Professor
PPWS Department