[Fwd: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand]

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu May 3 09:04:05 EST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Growing Arabidopsis in sand
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 08:50:13 +0100
=46rom: Jim Tokuhisa <tokuhisa at ice.mpg.de>
To: Wendy Allan <wallan at uoguelph.ca>

Dear Wendy,

To continue yesterday's message:

An additional stress may be nutrients, too much or an imbalance.  We
have
been using 0.1X Murashige & Skoog with vitamins and occasionally a 1X.
If
you want to stick with Hoagland's, you may want to use a diluted
solution or
perhaps include some N as ammonium.  I chose M&S based on simplicity,
commercial availability, and multiple and repeated successful use with
Arabidopsis.

Our growth conditions currently are to germinate Arabidopsis on soil
under
short-day, non flower-inductive conditions.  Transplant 2 to 3-week-old
plants (4 to 6-leaf stage), with most soil removed, to plastic pots (2-3
per
6x6x10 cm^3 pots) containing Seramis wetted with 0.1X M&S.  The pots are
in
trays with humidity domes and in a growth chamber with light intensities
at
soil level of about 70 umoles/m^2/sec.  The domes are rather close to
the
lights--20 cm or so, but that is what we have to live with.  Tray
temperatures are between 24-30 degrees C (30 is a bit high for
Arabidopsis).  If the humidity is saturating, we leave the domes
partially
off.  We water as needed which is about once a week.  When the plants
begin
to grow like Topsy, we occasionally will water with 1X M&S.

My search for these growth conditions was based on what some folks have
done
to research nodules on leguminous roots.  I also was inspired by the
soilless media used in hydroponic culture of house ornamentals--a
popular
means of growing house plants particularly in Europe.

We have kept plants growing to seed set.

WEB sites to look at:

porous clay:
=20    http://www.seramis.co.uk/
porous ceramic (we have not tried but it sounds promising if porous clay
is
not available):
=20    http://www.gardenweb.com/isolite/
Perlite:  it works well, but is worse than soil for binding roots

Please keep me posted on your successes with this project.  I am very
interested in any other techniques that work.

Sincerely,

--
Jim Tokuhisa, Ph.D.
Max Planck Institut f=FCr Chemische =D6kologie

Phone:  +49-3641-64-36-51
=46AX:  +49-3641-64-36-50
E-mail:  tokuhisa at ice.mpg.de