75 Years of Plant Physiology

Natasha Raikhel nraikhel at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:44:22 EST 2000

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><html>
Dear Colleagues,<br>
<b>In Celebration of 75 Years of Plant Physiology, A Special Plenary
Symposium:&quot;Plant Physiology 2000 and Beyond: Breaking the Mold&quot;
Monday, July 23, 2001, at 8:00 a.m.<br>
</b>This symposium will be a highlight of the ASPP meeting in Providence,
Rhode Island (July 21-25, 2001). The Symposium will feature a variety of
topics ranging from the whole plant to plant pathology, genomes, and
signal transduction. Topics were selected to showcase the breadth and
excellence of Plant Physiology. The speakers, all of whom are members of
the Plant Physiology Editorial Board, will present broad views and
implications of their respective areas of science. We hope that you will
be able to attend this anniversary celebration, organized by Natasha
Raikhel. Symposium speakers have offered the following tentative
titles:<br>
Frederick Ausubel, &quot;Molecular genetics of host-pathogen
interactions&quot; <br>
Vicki Chandler, &quot;Epigenetic control of gene regulation &quot;<br>
Karl Oparka, &quot;Phloem transport and unloading of systemic
macromolecules and signals&quot;<br>
Susan Wessler, &quot;Recent and massive restructuring of grass genomes by
transposable elements&quot; <br>
Joanne Chory, &quot;Light, brassinosteroids, and Arabidopsis
development&quot; <br>
1. ASPP invites all who attend the Symposium to a reception immediately
following the Symposium.<br>
2. A special section of<b> Conceptual Breakthroughs in Plant Biology</b>,
comprising 42 solicited articles, will be published in the<b> Anniversary
Issue of Plant Physiology in January 2001;</b> these will be published
together as a separate book, which will be available for sale during the
reception at $25.00 each. This is a very nice gift for anyone who cares
about plant biology!<br>
3. During 2000 and 2001, Plant Physiology has published and will continue
to publish several articles in the Editor's Choice section<br>
devoted to GMO, Biotechnology, food, and ecology issues. We have
solicited these articles from eminent scientists with the idea of<br>
demonstrating clearly where Plant Physiology stands on these issues and
providing our readership with ample resources to educate<br>
themselves and others. These articles, too, will be bound together in a
booklet called<b> &quot;Genetically Modified Crops: What do the
Scientists Say?&quot;</b> This volume will also be available during the
reception at $2.00 each.<br>
The Editorial Board of Plant Physiology hope very much that all of you
75th Anniversary Symposium.<br>
&nbsp;We are very much looking forward to seeing you there.<br>
Best wishes,<br>
Natasha Raikhel,<br>
Editor-in-Chief of Plant Physiology<br>
EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.prl.msu.edu/natasha.html</a></div>