The Society Name Change

Natasha Raikhel nraikhel at pilot.msu.edu
Mon Mar 6 17:04:21 EST 2000

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><html>
Dear Colleagues, <br>
&nbsp;A few months ago, ASPP created a page called &quot;Comments on the
Society Name <br>
&nbsp;Change&quot; on its website
(&lt;<a href="http://aspp.org/" eudora="autourl"><font
and invited people to express&nbsp; their opinions of whether or not the
name of American Society of Plant&nbsp; Physiologists should be changed
to American Society of Plant Biologists. A&nbsp; few people expressed
their views, but only a few. I was the one who&nbsp; suggested this
change, so I was asked by the ASPP Executive Committee to&nbsp; motivate
people to express their views. <br>
&nbsp;<br>
Whether you are currently an ASPP member or not, it would be very nice
if&nbsp; you would find a minute to express your view. I am appealing
especially to&nbsp; young professors, postdocs, and graduate students. A
strong and active Society with a name that identifies its activities is
essential&nbsp; for our discipline to be successful a prosper. This is
necessary for our&nbsp; presentations before the U.S. Congress, for
publication of our journals, and for <br>
&nbsp;establishing our (changing) identity. It is my personal opinion
that it is very important <br>
&nbsp;for our Society to involve the community of young scientists who
are making&nbsp; important discoveries in plant science to be active
participants of our&nbsp; Society and its decisions. However, I would
also like to emphasize that&nbsp; this participation is not only
necessary for the Society itself, but it is&nbsp; also crucial for the
young generation as well. It is a two-way street. <br>
Just changing the name will not change the substance of the&nbsp;
Society. On the other hand, changing the name and giving the
society&nbsp; broader appeal reflects what we really are today and may
attract a larger share of the younger&nbsp; generation. I urge you to
take a minute of your valuable time and express&nbsp; your views on the
ASPP web page. If the majority of people do not think&nbsp; that it is a
good idea to change the name, then it will probably not be <br>
put on the ballot. If&nbsp; the majority think that this change reflects
the reality that the fields <br>
of plant biology that we cover extend much beyond plant physiology, then
this&nbsp; question will be put on the ballot, to be decided by vote of
the&nbsp; membership. <br>
&nbsp;Sincerely yours, <br>
&nbsp;Natasha Raikhel <br>
EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.prl.msu.edu/natasha.html</a></div>