postdoctoral position

Mary Lou Guerinot Mary.Lou.Guerinot at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu Jun 22 14:33:21 EST 2000

<x-rich>POSTDOCTORAL POSITION

Dartmouth College

A postdoctoral research position is available immediately to study metal uptake
in Arabidopsis.  Our long term goal is to manipulate plant mineral status to
create food crops with enhanced mineral content and to develop crops that can
bioaccumulate or exclude toxic metals.  We have identified a novel family of
metal transporters from a diverse array of eukaryotes [see: Eide et al.  1996.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.  93: 5624; Grotz et al.  1998. Proc. Natl. Acad.
Sci. U.S.A.  95: 7220].  Arabidopsis family members variously transport iron,
zinc, manganese and cadmium when expressed in yeast.  We have also identified
the gene encoding ferric reductase (Robinson et al.  1999.  Nature 397:694).
This enzyme is required by most plants to acquire soluble iron.  Projects
currently underway include 1) a structure/function analysis of the proteins
encoded by the ZIP gene family to identify regions of the protein responsible
for substrate specificity and affinity, 2) analysis of ZIP gene expression and
localization of ZIP proteins, 3) analysis of transgenic plants engineered to
overexpress members of the ZIP gene family as well as lines carrying knockouts
of various transporters for alterations in metal accumulation and 4)
analysis of
the role of various members of the ferric reductase gene family in metal
metabolism.

A background in molecular biology and genetics is required.  If interested,
please contact Mary Lou Guerinot at the Wisconsin Arabidopsis meeting.
Alternatively, send a letter of application, Curriculum vitae, and names,
addresses and FAX numbers of 3 references to Dr. Mary Lou Guerinot, Department
of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, 6044 Gilman Lab, Hanover, NH
03755-3576.  Telephone (603) 646-2527; FAX (603) 646-1347.  E-mail
inquiries are
also welcome (guerinot at Dartmouth.edu).  Dartmouth College is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer.

A few words about Dartmouth:  Dartmouth is a small, Ivy League university with
an undergraduate body of about 4300 and a graduate and professional school
enrollment of approximately 850.  We offer Ph.D programs in all of
the Sciences;
there is an extensive group whose research interests are focused on cellular,
molecular and developmental biology (see
http://www.dartmouth.edu/artsci/biochem/mcb/).  We are situated in Hanover, a
traditional New England town in the heart of winter skiing and summer lake
resort areas.  We are only a two hour drive from Boston and a three hour drive
from Montreal, providing ample opportunities for sampling big city life.

---

</x-rich>