Post Doctoral Positions available

Liz Dennis E.Dennis at pi.csiro.au
Mon May 31 11:25:43 EST 1999

We have a number of Post Doctoral Fellowships available at CSIRO Plant
Industry which wouls suit arabidopsis net readers. These come out of
findings we have made.or genes we have cloned.Please contact the named
person for more information or our personnel dept.for more formal
descriptions of the fellowships.
Liz Dennis

Molecular Biologist	Ref No PG:99042
.Project: Controlling flowering time in crop species using the FLF gene
We have shown that the FLF gene encodes a repressor of flowering and that we
can reduce or increase the time to flower in Arabidopsis by decreasing or
increasing the FLF gene transcript. This project is to isolate FLF
homologues from crop species and attempt to manipulate the time to flower.
We are seeking a skilled Molecular Biologist with proven experience in
molecular characterisation of genes from plants, including sequencing,
Southern and Northern blotting, and PCR.  You will also have a demonstrated
knowledge of the design and construction of transgenes to manipulate gene
expression in transgenic plants.  Experience in plant transformation using
Agrobacterium is highly desirable, as is experience in protein analysis
techniques such as protein electrophoresis and Western blotting.
Contact: Candice Sheldon on 612 6246 5216 or email candice.sheldon at pi.csiro.au

Molecular Biologist	Ref No PG:99044
Project: GAMYB controlling growth and development.
We require a motivated scientist to investigate the role of GAMYB
transcription factors in gibberellin-regulated growth and development in
Arabidopsis.  This will involve generating and analysing transgenic
Arabidopsis plants over-expressing and under-expressing GAMYB to determine
its role in GA-regulated processes in Arabidopsis, as well as screening
microarrays for genes under the control of GAMYB and cloning related
GAMYB-like genes in barley.
The successful applicant will have experience in plant molecular biology and
knowledge of gene regulation by plant hormones.  You will also have a broad
understanding of transcription factors and signal transduction in plants and
animals.
Contact: Candice Sheldon on.612 6246 5216, email candice.sheldon at pi.csiro.au
or Frank Gubler on 612 6246 5269, email frank.gubler at pi.csiro.au

.Molecular Biologist	Ref No PG:99041
Project: Isolation of genes important for apomixis.
This project will involve the isolation of genes critical for apomixis.  In
particular genes that regulate the FIS genes already isolated in our
laboratory will be isolated by using the expression of the FIS genes as a
probe.  In addition mutants will be isolated that form an embryo without
pollination.  The appointee will have a sound knowledge of plant genetics
and proven ability to work on genetic problems.  You will also be able to
demonstrate experience with transposable elements, rescuing DNA from tagged
mutant lines and genetic mapping.
Contact: Abed Chaudhury on .612 6246 5237 or email abed.chaudhury at pi.csiro.au

Pre-employment medical criteria exist for these positions, all of which are
for a term of 3 years.  All positions are based in Canberra unless otherwise
indicated.
An information package and selection documentation can be obtained by
telephoning our 24 hour answering service on.612 6246 5434, or faxing 612
6246 5000, or email recruit at pi.csiro.au.  Alternatively, hearing impaired
applicants may call TTY on 612 6246 5136.  This information is also
available via our web site http://www.pi.csiro.au/

As a first step, applicants are strongly advised to obtain the Selection
Criteria and Duty Statement.  Address your application for any of the above
positions, quoting the appropriate Reference Number, and include details of
relevant personal particulars, experience, qualifications and names of at
least two professional referees.  Please mark 'Confidential' and forward to
Dominica Walsh, Human Resources, CSIRO Plant Industry, GPO Box 1600,
Canberra  ACT  2601.  Applications close on 14 June 1999.

Liz Dennis
CSIRO Division of Plant Industry
GPO Box 1600 Canberra  2601
 Australia