Dear Arabidopsis Researchers: I've been asked by USDA to compile a
database on the use of Stan Gelvin's ocs-mas "superpromoter" (available
through BRDC) in plant systems. This initial inquiry arose out of a
concern about potential problems that could be encountered by the use of
the CaMV35S promoter for constructing trangenic plants that might have
commercial and/or agricultural applications. It was designed to bring
together data from as many groups as possible with the hope that such a
compilation would encourage others to use this expectedly more easily
licensed genetic material should the need arise. This questionaire does
not imply the endorsement of this promoter by USDA (govt. required
disclaimer!). Please respond even if your experience has been negative or
minimal. Please also feel free to add your comments about the questions and
information requested as well as providing your answers to these questions.
The results of this questionaire will be provided directly to all who
respond and will, if the response to the initial effort is positive, form
the basis of a WWWeb page devoted to use of this promoter in plant
1) Has your research group used the BRDC promoter in your work? If not,
skip to question #9?
2) What species and varieties (cultivar, ecotype, etc.) were used for these
3) Was the BRDC promoter used for transient expression assays or for the
expression of genes in transformed plants?
a) If used in transient expression assays, was GUS or another
reporter gene expression assayed? What were the results?
b) If used in transgenic plants, was GUS or another reporter gene
expression assayed? What were the results? Was a phenotypic change
observed with other genes?
4) Was any tissue or developmental stage specificity noted with expression?
For example, which tissues or developmental stage exhibited high
expression and/or reduced levels of expression?
5) Were expression enhancers added and, if so, what were they and what
effect, if any, did they have?
6) Were comparisons made with CaMV 35S expression and, if so, what results
(qualitative and/or quantitative) were obtained?
7) Have you noted any unexpected or unusual interactions with specific
genes (identification of specific genes is optional)?
8) Have you noted any environmental or growth conditions that alter
expression, either using reporter genes or when used to express other
9) Are you planning on using this promoter in future experiments? If so,
how will it be used? If not, why not?