Mystery band on YAC preps

Dan Riggs riggs at scar.utoronto.ca
Tue May 20 16:12:06 EST 1997

Dear netters:

We have been trying to walk to a gene and have employed some of the
YACs available thru ABRC.  Two short YACs from the Eric Ward
collection are of interest but every time we make chromosomal DNA from
yeast harboring these YACs, we get a very prominent, wide band of
ethidium bromide fluorescence that I would estimate is between
80-120kbp. The chromosomes look good and there is no sign of
degradation.  One colleague suggested that it is perhaps mitochondrial
DNA, but we don't see it in other preps.  Unfortunately, it masks the
YAC we are interested in and dilutes the target DNA by at least 50
fold.  Does anyone have any ideas about what it is or more
importantly, how we can get rid of it?

Thanks,

Dan Riggs