Plant Cell Biol. Text

Vance Baird Vance_Baird at quickmail.clemson.edu
Thu May 15 19:02:49 EST 1997

                       Subject:                               Time:1:12 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Plant Cell Biol. Text                  Date:5/15/97

Dear Colleagues,
I am looking for a textbook to use in a Plant Cell Biology course I will be
teaching next Fall.  Any and all suggestions/recommendations are welcome.
     Although I consider myself reasonably familiar with the field I no longer
work directly in this area, and have never taught such a course entirely on my
own (I do currently teach Plant Anatomy and Plant Molecular Biology courses,
however).  The PCB course is listed as a graduate level offering, but I
imagine I will actually teach it at an intermediate grad./undergrad. level
since the students who have signed up for the Fall represent quite a broad
spectrum of backgrounds.
     I intend to use articles from the literature (reviews, primary research
papers when available, etc.), but I was hoping there was a relatively recent,
solid textbook out there to serve as a foundation and study guide for the
students.  Also, the course is a standard 3 contact hour per week lecture
course, without a lab section; but I intend to work in a few "demos" --- most
likely regarding electronmicroscopy.
     Again, any suggestions, opinions, guidance, etc. regarding textbook,
topics to be covered, demonstrations, etc is appreciated.  Thank you.
-Vance Baird
vbaird at clemson.edu
864-656-4953 (-4960 FAX)

PS  I apologize for "double dipping" if you've already seen this on the
Plant-Ed bulletinboard.