Reply to: Basta, is there another useful herbicide

Stokes Baker BAKERSS at udmercy.edu
Thu May 15 19:03:19 EST 1997

I do not know how my name got attached to your posting to the
Arabidopsis net, but I might have the answer.

The George  Haughn has cloned a mutant Arabidopsis ALS gene that
confers resistance to the herbicide chlorsulfuron.  Details are in:
1.   Haughn and Somerville, Mol. Gen. Genet. (1986) 204-430-434.
2.  Haughn et al., Mol. Gen. Genet. (1988) 211:266-271.

George has supply me with a plasmid containing this gene.  I'm sure he
is willing to supply it to you.  He can be contacted at the U of British
Columbia at:  Haughn at unixg.ubc.ca

Chlorsulfuron can be purchased from Chem Services Inc., P.O. Box
3180, West Chester, PA  19381.  100 mg is about $50.00 U.S.

Purrington and Bergelson  (Genetics, 145:807-814, 1997) has placed
this gene into a pBIN19 derivative, and used it to transform Arabidopsis.
This might me a useful vector for you.  Good luck.

Stokes

Stokes S. Baker, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Detroit Mercy