Internet citations

Clint Chapple chapple at biochem.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 8 16:09:55 EST 1996

Dear All:

I am currently preparing a manuscript in which we have compared the
intron/exon boundary sequences of a new Arabidopsis genomic sequence to the
consensus sequences tabulated at the Arabidopsis Web site at Stanford
(HTTP://genome-www.stanford.edu /Arabidopsis/splice_site.html).

My question is... how does one reference this sort of data?  If this data
has recently been published I would greatly appreciate the citation, but if
not, how would people feel about referencing an HTTP site in a scientific
journal?  In some ways it is no worse than citing a personal communication,
but it is certainly more "transient" than a true journal reference.

It's clear that the internet is going to have an important role in science
in the time to come (check out this week's Science).  For example, has
anyone ever been interested in citing something that had come out in Weeds
World?  I suspect that this issue may come up more often in the future, so
I'd be interested in hearing people's opinion about referencing the internet.

regards,

c.

Clint Chapple
Department of Biochemistry