I apologize if you are getting this announcement a second time.
The following is the revised schedule for the 1996 FASEB Summer Research
Conference on "Plant Developmental Genetics". Applications are still be
accepted. Please contact Adele Hewitt (email: ahewitt at osmc.faseb.org) for
application forms, or Scott Poethig (email: spoethig at sas.upenn.edu) for
5th FASEB Summer Research Conference
Plant Developmental Genetics
August 10-15, 1996
Vermont Academy, Saxtons River, VT
Scott Poethig, Chair
Joanne Chory, Co-chair
Daniel Cosgrove, Co-chair
August 10, Saturday evening
Keynote Address: John Doebley (U. of Minnesota): "The genetics and
developmental biology of maize evolution"
August 11, Sunday morning
Topic: Gametophyte development
1.Teh-Hui Kao: "A receptor kinase of Petunia involved in male gametophyte
2. Marc Albertsen: Male sterile mutants in maize
3. Robert Fischer: Embryo sac development in Arabidopsis
4. Jody Banks: Sex determination in fern gametophytes
August 11, Sunday evening
1. Scott Russell: Fertilization in flowering plants
2. Daphne Preuss: "Genetics of pollen-pistil interactions: Talking through
3. David Meinke: Embryo-suspensor interactions in Arabidopsis
4. John Harada: Embryo development in Arabidopsis
August 12, Monday morning
Topic: Apical meristems
1. Kathy Barton: Shoot meristem initiation in Arabidopsis
2. Steve Clark: Regulation of shoot meristem size in Arabidopsis
3. Eugene Szymkowiak: Mutations affecting in shoot meristem identity in tomato
4. Heather McKhann: "Genetic analysis of root meristem formation in Arabidopsis"
August 12, Monday evening
Topic: Phase change/flowering
1. Scott Poethig: "Vegetative phase change in maize and Arabidopsis"
2 James Reid: "Genetic control of flowering and phase change in peas"
3. Ry Meeks-Wagner: Floral initiation in Arabidopsis
4. Detlef Weigel: leafy and the regulation of floral initiation
August 13, Tuesday morning
Topic: Flower and Leaf development
1. Da Luo: "Molecular genetics of floral symmetry"
2. Robert Schmidt: Homeotic genes affecting flower development in maize
3. Michael Freeling: "Gentic analysis of early events in the specification
of domains in the maize leaf."
4. Andrew Hudson: Regulation of dorsiventrality in Antirrhinum leaves
August 13, Tuesday evening
Topic: Cellular differentiation
1. Dina Mandoli: "Developmental genetics of Acetabularia".
2. David Marks: "The action of GL1, TTG, GL2 and other genes that control
trichome cell fate in Arabidopsis."
3. Liam Dolan: Root hair development in Arabidopsis
4. Jane Langdale: Genetic regulation of C4 differentiation in maize
August 14, Wednesday morning
Topic: Growth and cell division
1. Daniel Cosgrove: The control of cell growth by expansins
2. Joseph Ecker: Hormonal regulation of differential growth in Arabidopsis
3. Tobias Baskin: "Growth anisotropy and morphogenesis in roots"
4. Laurie Smith: "Genetic analysis of cell pattern in the maize leaf".
August 14, Wednesday afternoon
Topic: Light and plant development
1. Harry Smtih: "Photosensory functions of the phytochrome family"
2. Joanne Chory: Genetic analysis of photosignal transduction
3. Margaret Ahmad: Genetic analysis of blue light signal transduction
4. Thierry Genoud: "Arabidopsis mutants hypersensitive to the light signal"
August 15, Thursday morning
Topic: Hot topics
1. Jeffrey Dangl: "Loci controlling cell death and pathogen recognition in
2. Steven Dellaporta: Cell death and sex determination in maize
3. Rob Martienssen: Gene trap/promoter trap technology
Department of Biology
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6018