controversies and ethics

Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D. barnes at BIODEC.WUSTL.EDU
Tue Jan 31 10:07:12 EST 1995

Dear Dr. Chaudhury,

     You're right, I should increase the initial fly-swatting selective
pressure to a level that kills a noticeable percentage of them at each
generation.

     I believe that the Bt resistance noticed so far in inadvertent field
selections is not absolute; a higher level of Bt still kills the resistant
strains.  I don't believe a single change is enough to cause absolute
resistance, but if a few small changes are selected for at low levels of Bt
application, eventually serious resistance could be selected, especially
after the benefits of recombination add to this evolution.

Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D.            Biochemistry Dept. 8231
660 South Euclid Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110             USA
314/362-3351   Barnes at biodec.wustl.edu  fax: 314/362-7183