Post-doctoral position

Nina Fedoroff fedoroff at MAIL1.CIWEMB.EDU
Mon Jan 30 17:19:43 EST 1995

  REGARDING           Post-doctoral position

Post-Doctoral Position

Lab:	Nina Fedoroff
Starting Date: 	July 1995 (or earlier, see below)
Duration:  3 years (depending on satisfactory completion of year 1)
Subject: 	Molecular mechanism of TnpA-mediated activation of the methylated
Spm promoter

A post-doctoral position is available in my laboratory to study the molecular
mechanism by which the TnpA protein encoded by the maize Suppressor-mutator
element activates its own methylated promoter (see Schlappi et al., Cell 77,
427 [1994]).  TnpA is one of two transposon-encoded proteins required for Spm
transposition.  TnpA also regulates expression of the Spm promoter both
positively and negatively, repressing the unmethylated promoter and activating
the methylated promoter.  We are analysing the interactions between element
sequences and the element-encoded TnpA and TnpD proteins by a variety of in
vivo and in vitro approaches.  Using a two-hybrid expression system, we have
established that TnpA does not have a conventional transcription activation
domain, implying that its ability to activate (and promote the demethylation)
of its own promoter, occurs by a novel mechanism.   We are keenly interested
in understanding the protein-nucleic acid interactions responsible for
TnpA-mediated promoter activation and demethylation.  A strong background in
protein and nucleic acid chemistry is highly desirable.

The laboratory is currently located at the Carnegie Institution of
Washington's Department of Embryology in Baltimore, Maryland, but will be
moving to the Biotechnology Institute at Penn State University in July of
1995.  Hence the desirable starting date is mid-summer of 1995.

Please contact either Nina Fedoroff (410-554-1220) or Ramesh Raina
(410-554-1259) at:

Carnegie Institution of Washington
Department of Embryology
115 West University Parkway