help fungi

Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D. barnes at BIODEC.WUSTL.EDU
Fri Sep 9 12:57:00 EST 1994

>    Dear netters,
>does anybody has a real good solution of the fungi problem, which we constantly
>encounter while plating F1 transgenic seeds on the MS kanamycine selective plat
>es. Looks like the fungi growth is happening around the seeds, though we alread
>y increased bleaching time to 20 min (from 5min). Any advice appreciated!
>
>vbeilinson at dept.agry.purdue.edu                   Vadim Beilinson

Dear Vadim,

     See this week's Science, v265, p605.

     You could grow up a shake culture of Gary Strobel's Pseudomonas
syringae strain, possibly after throwing in some fungus to induce
production of pseudomycins.  Then, you could filter this culture and add
some of the filtrate to your germinating seeds.  If pseuodmycins don't hurt
mice or elm trees, how can they not be good for your seeds?

Barnes at biodec.wustl.edu    -------------------------
Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D.             fax: 314/362-7183
Dept. Biochemistry 8231, Washington Univ. Med.School
St. Louis, Missouri 63110 USA       ph: 314/362-3351