Quicko vernalization?

Jim Haseloff jph at MRC-LMB.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 09:27:30 EST 1994

Dear Netters

														Does anyone have any recipes for minimising the time required
for vernalization of dry Arabidopsis seed? (For grabbing siliques from
newly tranformed C24 plantlets, and then getting good germination on soil).

At the moment, we dry seed at 37 for a week and treat surface-sterilised,
imbibed seed for three days at 4 degrees, before sowing on kanamycin
plates. However, we'd like to vernalize dry seed (some definitely
non-sterile) in as short a time as possible - and avoid the need for extra
manipulations on a large number of lines.

We'd be grateful for any further advice on:
temperature, 4 degrees vs. -20 degrees, and timing.

Thanks in advance,

Jim H.
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology