Pre-doctoral fellowship

Michael Gretz mrgretz at MTU.EDU
Thu Oct 6 13:16:41 EST 1994

   ***** A PRE-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP is available for study in cell and *****
   *****   molecular biology/biochemistry of plants at Michigan Tech. *****

  We are studying plant exocellular matrix (ECM) biogenesis, structure
  and function. One of our primary interests is the process of extracellular
  adhesive production by diatoms as related to biofouling in marine and
  freshwater environments. Another project addresses the influence of
  external electromagnetic fields on ECM biogenesis and effects on plant
  growth and development. We are also currently working on the red algal ECM
  both as a model system for biosynthesis and because of the commercially
  important polysaccharides present there.

  This Pre-doctoral Fellowship pays $12,000/yr. (in addition to full tuition
  waiver) and is renewable up to a total of three years. The successful
  applicant will join four Ph.D. students, one Master's student, a post-doc
  and three undergraduates in a well equipped research laboratory.

  Michigan Technological University is primarily a science and engineering
  school with an established graduate program in plant cellular and molecular
  biology/biochemistry. Faculty include: John Adler, biochemistry/physiology of
  plant steroids; Susan Bagley, mycorrhizal physiology; Wilbur Campbell, plant
  enzyme biochemistry/molecular biology; Vincent Chiang, molecular
  biology/chemistry of lignin biosynthesis; David Karnosky, genetic
  engineering of trees; Michael Gretz, exocellular matrix biogensis,
  structure; Peter Laks, flavonoid biotechnology; Don Leuking,
  photosynthetic membrane biogenesis, lipid biochemistry; Gary McGinnis,
  cell wall carbohydrate chemistry; Gopi Podila, molecular basis of
  plant/microbe interactions.

  MTU research centers include: the Phytotechnology Research Center, the
  Lake Superior Ecosystems Research Center, the Institute for Wood
  Research, the EPA Environmental Research National Center of Excellence,
  and the Ford Forestry Center.

  In addition to excellent support facilities and academic environment, we
  also offer outstanding opportunities for outdoor recreation. Michigan
  Tech is located on an inland waterway five miles from the largest
  freshwater lake in the world, Lake Superior. Boating, water skiing and
  related activities make this area a Summer vacation haven. MTU maintains on
  campus downhill and x-country skiing facilities for Winter sports
  enthusiasts.

  To apply, contact:

  Michael Gretz
  Associate Professor