Seed Dormancy Thanks

David Robinson robinsod at STOLAF.EDU
Fri Nov 18 19:05:42 EST 1994

>>As a neophyte Arabidopsis grower I am having problems getting seed, that I
>>have grown myself, to germinate. I am working with Columbia. I harvested
>>pods when they were golden and dry. I thought that 1 or 2 weeks of
>>afterripening at room temperature would be enough but they still don't
>>germinate. I already know that they need a light-treatment to germinate.
>>
>>Is there a higher or lower temperature treatment that I should try in order
>>to break this dormancy? I'm kind of in a rush.
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Dave Lowell Robinson
>>Biology Dept.
>>St. Olaf College
>>Northfield, MN
>>
>>robinsod at stolaf.edu

To All Those Who Answered My Query:

                                   THANKS!!

The general consensus was that I should imbibe the seed and treat with 4 C
for about 3 days before trying to germinate. Others offered that a little
gibberellic acid, or that drying the seed with a desiccant, would also help
if the cold treatment didn't work.

As soon as you replied I put my dishes (sown on agar a few days before and
kept at room temperature) into my refrigerator for 3 days and sure
enough....now after only 8 hours at room temp I've got radicles emerging!

I (and my students trying to grow Arabidopsis) thank you!

Dave Lowell Robinson