Growing Arabidopsis for Root Tissue

yams at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU yams at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Sep 29 13:46:19 EST 1993

As greenhouse manager at The University of Chicago, I am currently trying
to grow Arabidopsis for root collection for a specific Molecular Genetics
laboratory. I am interested in simple growing techniques that will produce
root tissue in  quantities sufficient for biochemical experiments. I do not
want to grow  plants hydroponically or under sterile conditions. I have
been growing the plants in a growth room under flourescent lights. Seed is
sown in flats filled with calcined clay (Turface) which allows for easy
root cleaning. Fertilization has been with Peter's Peat Lite 20-19-18 at
approximately 200 ppm N with every watering. Plant growth has been somewhat
stunted. Any suggestions for a better fertilization schedule? Or
suggestions for completely different growing methods which provide lots of
roots with little cleaning required? Thanks for your ideas and comments.

Susan B. Yamins
The Univversity of Chicago
Greenhouse