Carbenicillin replacement

barnes at BIOLGY.WUSTL.EDU barnes at BIOLGY.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Sep 16 18:17:52 EST 1993

Dear Agro killers,

Carbenicillin, I recommend Augmentin, available in pill form from
your local pharmacist.  You must get a prescription from a doctor
who is willing to prescribe it for your plants in tissue culture.

	Augmentin is a dual formulation -- amoxicillin + clavulanate.
The latter is a suicide inhibitor of beta lactamase, so this preparation
can be even be used to kill Agrobacteria that are ampicillin resistant, which
is the case for my helper.

	Two Augmentin'250' pills are not the same as one Augmentin'500', since
each contain 125 mg of clavulanate.  Avoid the chewables, since I can't vouch
that the lemon flavor is safe for your experiment.

	Recipe:  In about 30 ml of sterile water, stir one pill for 15-20
minutes.  The drugs are the last thing to dissolve, but the chalk in the
pill does not dissolve.  You may add Kanamycin at this time, but you
should add more than usual, since the Augmentin seems to counteract some
of the kanamycin.  For tobacco I use 250 mg Augmentin + 250 mg kanamycin
per liter.  To remove the chalk, filter-sterilize.  Addition of this
to your medium will raise the pH some, so take this into
account if you want accurate pH.  Not stable in solution for more than
a few weeks, so make up fresh plates before transferring to them.

            -- Wayne M. Barnes  314/362-3351  Barnes at biolgy.wustl.edu