fatty acid beta oxidation in arabidopsis?

khofmann at biomed.biolan.uni-koeln.de khofmann at biomed.biolan.uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 13 08:07:09 EST 1992

Hello,

Our institute is involved in animal (human) biochemistry, so i hope my
question to the arabidopsis scientific community isn't too stupid:
I am very interested in the enzymes of fatty acid degradation, especially
the beta oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids.
An enzyme involved, the 3-2trans enoyl-coA isomerase, has been described
to occur besides animals also in cucumber seedlings. My question is:
Is it probable that a gene for this enzyme is present in other plants
(esp. in arabidopsis) too? Do green plants have the same way to degrade
fatty acids as animals (and bacteria)?
Any hints on this topic are appreciated,

Best regards,
              Kay Hofmann