seed size

Arabidopsis 21847LAB at MSU.EDU
Fri Apr 3 00:31:00 EST 1992

    Fred Lehle asked whether anyone has looked at variation in seed size
between different Arabidopsis ecotypes.  I looked at this very briefly (just
one experiment).  I weighed seeds from six different ecotypes.  The
weight/seed for the different ecotypes was as follows:
columbia = 20.4 ug/seed
Yo-O = 21.7 ug/seed
En-2 = 15.5 ug/seed
An-1 = 16.9 ug/seed
Pr-O = 17.0 ug/seed
tetraploid columbia = 33.3 ug/seed

    Since I only did one experiment I don't know whether these numbers
represent a consistant difference in seed size between the different ecotypes.
Seed size also seems to be somewhat "batch" dependent as I have found a
reasonable amount of variability in seed size between different lots of
columbia seeds (20.4 ug/seed in the above experiment, only 16.7 ug/seed in a
different experiment).

                    Sue Gibson