postgraduate studentship

BI1RGW at IBM.SHEFFIELD.AC.UK BI1RGW at IBM.SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Thu Oct 24 05:13:28 EST 1991

 U R G E N T
              ***********

Due to a studentship deciding that "research isn't for me", we have available a
SERC postgraduate studentship. This studentship MUST BE FILLED BEFORE MID-
NOVEMBER or we shall lose it. If you know of any semi-literate, semi-competent
graduates who may be interested please can you let both them and us know,
as soon as possible. Regrettably, only British citizens are eligible.

The studentship is to work on the acclimation of Arabidopsis thaliana to
varying light intensity. It will involve a wide range of techniques, from
analysis of photosynthetic function using chlorophyll fluorescence, through
characterisation of the protein composition of the thylakoid membrane, to
measurements of gene expression via Northern blotting, primer extension assays,
run-off transcription etc.
Other aspects of the project will also involve the cloning of light-inducible/
repressible genes, the use of PCR in the analysis of reletive transcript
levels within multigene famailies, and the screening of mutagenised plants for
mutants (followed of course by classical genetic analysis of such mutants).

This wide ranging project will give the student scope to develop whatever
aspect he/she wishes, and to follow his/her own interest within the topic.

P L E A S E
***********
If you know of ANYONE suitable, contact Prof. Peter Horton by any of the
following methods:

(1) E-mail to BI1RGW at UK.AC.SHEF.IBM;
(2) 'Phone 0742 768555 extn 4189;
(3) Fax 0742 728697;
(4) Mail to          Prof. P. Horton,
                     Robert Hill Institute,
                     Dept. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology,
                     University of Sheffield,
                     Firth Court,
                     Western Bank,
                     Sheffield    S10 2UH.