IUBio

METABOLISM VERSUS AGE

Tycho M. Hoogland tycho at hoogland.demon.nl
Sat Aug 23 04:31:26 EST 1997

 My question with respect to the molecular of aging is the following. Is it
known what kind of relationship (linear, nonlinear) exists between an
animals lifespan and its metabolism? It seems very obvious to me that
animals with a higher metabolic rate will on the average live shorter. But
I'd like some more information about this relationship. In the end it will
be the careful distribution of energy resources (to feeding, reproduction
and maintenance, etc.) that will determine how long an animal will live. Can
anyone also tell me something about the molecular mechanisms involved.