IUBio

Hair Loss - Growth Hormone vs. DHEA

SForsgren sforsgren at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 23:12:20 EST 1995

I am trying to understand as much as possible about those reactions within
the body which cause male pattern baldness.  I understand that
testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone via the 5-alpha-reductase
metabolite.  Other than that, I know of lots of products that cost lost of
money (some good / some not so good) that I am trying to better my
situation with.  In fact, I believe the root of the problem to be one of
balance and nutrition, but I do not feel completely educated on all of the
internal areas.

Here are a few basic questions I have that I would appreciate any

1) DHEA (Dehaydropiandrosterone) is said to have many anti-aging effects.
However, I have found documented evidence that it could also CAUSE MBP.
Apparently, this has something to do with a general increase of
testosterone caused by the DHEA.  This same hormone is said to do things
like increase skin thickness, muscle mass, lower cholesterol and blood
pressure, increase bone density, stimulate the immune system, etc.

I have recently done some research on a product called YOUTH-FORMULA 1
which makes many of the same claims (ie. skin tightening, increase in
muscle mass, reduction in cholesterol, etc.).  This product is a
combination of amino acids (primarily lsyine and arginine) which is said
to increase Human Growth Hormone (HGH) excreted by the pituitary gland.
When discussing the male pattern baldness issue with these people (after
one customer testimonial found in the bionet.molbio.ageing newsgroup which
said this product ultimately was the reason he had his "hair system"
removed and had great natural hair growth now), I was told that the
difference was the this product would "balance" testosterone, not
necessarily increase it like DHEA would tend to do.

Does this make sense?

2) I have read that arginine could be beneficial in the fight against hair
loss in that it causes the body to create nitoxide radical (NO) which
stimulates hair growth.  In that this is true, wouldn't the YOUTH-FORMULA
1 have an equally benefical effect?

3) If the culprit is 5-alpha reductase, why is this a problem that worsens
with age?  Is more 5-alpha reductase created by the body as we age?  Why?
Is it that growth hormone and or others (which?) are decreased as we age?

4) I have read that serenoa repens (saw palmetto) inhibits 5 alpha
reductase as well as breaking down DHT.  Does Proscar work the same way?

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.